WHAT ARE SOME RESOURCES AVAILABLE?
There are so many!!!!
- Early Intervention –> offered to those less than 3 years old.
- Helps with all aspects of developmental delay, not just with concerns for those with Autism.
- Speech therapy –> helps with verbal and nonverbal communication
- Occupational therapy –> helps with fine motor skills (writing, feeding, dressing)
- ABA Therapy: Applied Behavioral Analysis therapy. Such a valuable resource! Helps those with autism develop the necessary skills needed to function optimally.
- Helps with language, communication
- Problem solving
- Attention, focus
- Other behaviors
I HEARD THAT THE MMR VACCINE CAUSES AUTISM? IS THAT TRUE?
No. That is not true. Why are people saying that? A study came out in 1998 by Andrew Wakefield that tried to link behavioral concerns like Autism to the MMR vaccine. It was a poor study that used an extremely small sample size of 12 children. There was a conflict of interest with his involvement in a lawsuit that targeted vaccine companies. He also tried to change the results of the study so that it showed what he wanted it to show.
There were many studies after this study came out that investigated whether MMR caused Autism. Over and over, these studies did not prove that MMR caused autism. It was retracted due to misinformation and it being a poor study. If you want a link or copy of that article at any time, I will be happy to send you the link. Know that Andrew Wakefield lost his license to practice medicine for disseminating this false information.
We still don’t know what exactly causes Autism, whether it’s genetic, environmental, or a complex combination of both, but there are many scientists and physicians that are working hard to answer this important question.
If you are concerned at any time that your child may have Autism, please give us a call. We will be more than happy to see your keiki in the clinic. Again, NEVER be ashamed of anything. As mentioned before, our goal is to get rid of the stigma and instead help your keiki be the best they can be. The earlier we give them resources, the better able they’ll be to reach their full potential. We will work together for the best possible outcome!
Please enjoy your holidays. Take care and stay safe.
Dr. Honda & Your Keānuenue ‘Ohana.